Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Film

There was a time, not too long ago I remember people and photographers, one by one, relenting to shiny new digital cameras, "gone digital" became somewhat of a short lived catch phrase.
No Forwarding Address
And there were naysayers on both sides of the equation, I personally began using digital cameras early on, as soon as I could afford one I was shooting with abandon, view, edit delete, it was too easy. I listened to both sides of this debate and agreed with the talking points of both, Similar to the never ending Nikon/Canon debate, the only good thing to come out of it is the fact each company tries to out do each other and we benefit by a better quality product, in the photo you'll never see the difference. It reminds me of a quote by Melvin Sokolsky, "Ideas are not digital, tools are digital, what good is the tool without the idea?" 
Origins II
Recently I've been giving this a lot of thought and wouldn't you know it that Sunday while out shooting with Pearl two situations came up where I wished I had a camera loaded with film. Now I should probably explain that most often Pearl and I go without a plan, just a general idea of locations and I've always been happy how my digital cameras have performed in many, many varied situations. So it was either thought given to what I wanted to convey, or Pearl's nagging influence in advocating for film, but I was looking at a scene we were setting up and it occurred to me, THIS is perfect for film.
Gone Broke
Long story short, I've been shopping for cameras again, film cameras this time and I'm very excited about it, I'm adding a 35mm with a wide angle lens and soon a medium format, probably 6X7 and I can't wait to find a reason to need them.  
See Me


"Kodak sells film, but they don't advertise film. They advertise memories." ~Theodore Levitt

No comments:

Post a Comment