Friday, April 8, 2011

Directions

Where do you go to find that winning formula? 
Disinclination
So I got this idea in my head that to become a better photographer I needed to diversify, shoot more variety, put my own spin on something completely different, perhaps this way my work might appeal to more people? Or at least I'd be expanding my photographic horizons which certainly couldn't hurt my skill level, I went so far as to shoot in just about a 180 degree turnaround, and, it didn't work.
Comfort Zone
Afterwords in a conversation with Karen, a close friend and model I was working with pretty much straightened me out when she told me 'you shoot art nude in the desert, it's what you do best, if you want a change in direction, go to a different desert'. 
A Apolitical Blues
The change of direction that I really needed it seems was in my head, and this was a valuable lesson. I didn't need a change in venue I needed to follow my heart and try to focus on being better at what I already do. I won't stop experimenting or trying different perspectives on shots because I do find gems among those sets of images that don't work, and of the ones that don't work I get excellent insight on what might make them work.
Strange Land
And it seems to be working! At least in my view and from some of the comments I've been receiving recently I feel I am definitely headed in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah... Did Ansel Adams ever do advertising work? Even if he did does anyone care?

    ReplyDelete